Natural Rubber Soother & Teether
The Natural Rubber Soother is one of the safest and natural dummies and teethers available on the market.
Made from a single piece of natural rubber with no joins or cracks eliminating areas for dirt and bacteria to accumulate.
Natural rubber has non-static properties therefore it doesn’t attract dust and dirt.
Closer to nature
The soother has a larger shield than the standard dummy. Its not cut out around the nose area which means it sits higher to touch baby’s nose. This provides a closer simulation to breastfeeding.
Renewable – Its a green product as it’s produced using a sustainable raw material. The tree sap from the rubber tree used in their soothers is grown and made in Malaysia. Natural Rubber Soothers, teats and teethers are made from a 100% renewable resource. Other soothers on the market are made from silicone and plastic which are made from oil based materials and are a non-renewable resource.
Bio-degradable – These soothers, teats and teethers are bio-degradable unlike the plastic and silicone soothers, teats and teethers. The source and supply of rubber is also renewable through replanting of the rubber trees.
Low carbon foot print – The rubber used in the soothers is sourced from Malaysia, this is the closest sustainable rubber plantation to Australia. For this reason their carbon footprint is the lowest in the world for this type of product.
Petrochemical free & made from natural rubber not PVC.
Extreme durability compared to silicone teats and have excellent pull-and-tear resistance.
The size of the shield also prevents babies from squeezing the soother into their mouths. It doesn’t leave marks on the baby’s face due to the high level of elasticity of natural rubber. The Natural Rubber soother is softer than silicone soothers making it easy to wash and care for. Also ensuring that it won’t fall apart.
Silicone versions can rapidly tear once the surface has been damaged making them a more dangerous choking hazard.
- Meets the Australian Safety Standard for soothers, code number AS2432-1991/2008.
- Made to conform with the Pacifier Safety requirements of European standard EN1400.
- Tested by internationally renowned company SGS for compliance and traces of nitrosamines (proteins that can cause an allergic reaction to latex). Nitromsamines are eliminated during production of the The Natural Rubber Soother, (view this report here to see the non-detectable status of nitrosamines), making them one of the safest soothers on the market today.
The Natural Rubber Soother contains:
- No BPA
- No chemical softeners
- No parabens
- No PVC
- No Phthalates.
Our Natural Rubber Soothers also meet FDA, European REACH and GB 4806.2-94 standards.
Choosing your size and style.
The soothers are available in round (cherry) and orthodontic shapes. Both have the same size shield and there are five sizes to choose from depending on the age of your baby:
- round small 0-3 months
- round medium 3-6 months
- round large 6+ months
- orthodontic shape small 0-6 months
- orthodontic shape large 6+ months
The soothers are helpful in satisfying your baby’s need for self-soothing, while preventing possible negative effects on teeth and palate formation created by his or her thumb sucking.
Round Shape –
- Tends to work better for breast-fed babies because the tongue is positioned under the nipple as it is during breast-feeding, which helps prevent nipple confusion.
- About 80% of babies tend to move soothers around in their mouths, so the position of the round soother can never end up around the wrong way.
- Because the tongue’s position never changes, midwives usually recommend starting babies on rounded soothers.
- Natural Rubber Soothers round model is available in small (0-3 months), medium (3-6 months) and large (6 months+).
Orthodontic Shape –
- With the orthodontic shape, the tip of the nipple is slanted to encourage tongue movement against it (as opposed to under it).
- The tongue’s pressure is directed towards the tip. This shape is ideal for babies who are already accustomed to the orthodontic shape.
- The Natural Rubber Soother Ortho shape is available in small (0-6 months) and large (6 months+).
- Boiled in water for 5 minutes (and allowed to cool) before first time use.
- Clean after each use with warm water and mild liquid soap before rinsing.
- Natural Rubber Soothers will change colour during use.
When to replace my soother?
Replace every 8-12 weeks (depending on frequency of use) with the age appropriate size.
Ideal uses for a Natural Rubber Soother:
- Aeroplane travel – whilst the plane is ascending or descending air pressure changes and babies are unable to unblock their ears unless they are sucking and swallowing.
- Painful nipples – when you just can’t use your breast anymore as a comforter, a Natural Rubber Soother can give your nipples the chance to repair.
- Sleep Activator – Some babies drift off to sleep whilst feeding and when you transfer them into bed they can wake up. By using a Natural Rubber Soother during this transition from feeding to the cot, baby can use the Soother as a sleep activator.
- Optional Parent Helper – Natural Rubber Soothers are an optional parent helper, they are not always essential, as many babies will never need a soother. Every parent has different needs, providing safe alternatives for your babies in these circumstances are what is desired.
Why choose a Natural Rubber Soother
We manufacture and import our Natural Rubber Soothers, Natural Rubber Teethers, and Natural Rubber Teats directly from Malaysia. Many other brands are manufactured or imported from Europe. Interestingly natural rubber is only grown in Malaysia or South America, which means when you buy their brand the rubber is flown to Europe and then flown back to Australia and then to you. In one case we know of, the rubber goes from the country of origin to Italy then to Denmark and then to Australia.
When you choose a Natural Rubber Soother you minimise the carbon footprint and impact on the environment.
Environmental and social stewardship:
Does the manufacturer of Natural Rubber products have an environmental management system?
- Yes, their manufacturer has an environment policy which the management enforces in the factory.
- It has a water treatment plant to clean up its processed water before discharging the water, this conforms to the standards of the Malaysian Department of Environment regarding public water ways.
- They’re waste is recycled by being sold to other manufacturers who convert the waste to a lower grade rubber e.g the production of rubber floor mats used in public parks & playgrounds.
- Their manufacturer is required to invest a part of the profits in replanting rubber trees, research and development.
Employs workers who are being rehabilitated from socially unacceptable habits for example drug and or alcohol addictions. They are assigned to special light duties, due to their physical conditions. Additionally they are given company housing to stay in because they do not have their immediate families with them.
What are nitrosamines and how do they check the content in their natural rubber products?
Nitrosamines and nitrosatable substances are chemicals that are found in such things as fried bacon, smoked meat and rubber products, like natural rubber (latex soothers, teats and teethers). Sucking on a soother can release small amounts of nitrosamines. Latex, however, contains far fewer nitrosamines than grilled meat or cosmetic products for example.
- Natural Rubber Soothers supports healthy development for babies, their raw materials are strictly controlled to ensure they have the lowest possible Nitrosamines and nitrosatable substances value.
- At production all products are leached (washed) for 48 hours. This removes the majority of the nitrosamines and nitrosatable substances which removes the risk of a latex allergy.
- Natural Rubber Soothers arriving from Malaysia are tested by SGS, an internationally renowned controlled independent laboratory (see attached sample report here). Always boil soothers before first use, for additional child safety!